Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Private messagesPrivate messages   Log inLog in 
CPHP soap Crockpot Hot Processing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara AL
Has Callouses on Fingertips!

Feedback Score: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: CPHP soap Crockpot Hot Processing Reply with quote

This is my first batch of CPHP soap I am so proud of it it turned out really nice. I am calling this Lavish Laundry it is a combo of Clean Breeze, Lavender Milk and Baby Powder.

Thanks for looking!!!
Barbara

MVC-011F.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.42 KB
 Viewed:  4855 Time(s)

MVC-011F.JPG

brighterdayz
Is Talkative!
Is Talkative!

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Great job!
Billie
Is The Strong Silent Type

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love your soap. The colors and swirls are just beautiful. I've been trying CPHP now for a few months and just can't seem to get anything that looks even close to that.
Smile

Billie
Barbara AL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Subject Reply with quote

Billie,

Do you add Sodium Lactate to your CPHP? I add 1/2 ounce to each pound I make in the Crockpot I think it helps alot.
I get my sodium Lactate at Lotioncrafter.

I pull out for my color and drop by spoonsful and use a bamboo stick for swirling.

Barbara
Bittersweet
Is Talkative!
Is Talkative!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look like clouds, they are beautiful and I bet they smell heavenly!
MikieMom
Is Finally Loosening Up!
Is Finally Loosening Up!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: CPHP Soap Reply with quote

Barbara AL-

I did my first batch of CPHP soap and it didn't come out looking that smooth at all. I don't use log molds but use a six-cavity mold that produces half moon shaped bars that weigh about 5 ounces. I have to glop the soap in and I try my best to smooth it in but it still comes out looking more like a rebatched bar of soap.

How does the sodium lactate affect the soap? Is that what makes it look smooth?

Thanks, Michalene
Barbara AL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIchalene,

It makes for a smooth and harder bar. You can add it to the lye water or mix it in after the water is put into the oils I use 2% Sodium Lactate

I know which molds you are talking about they are a six cavity and come from Southern Garden Scents I like making my saltbars with those molds.

Barbara AL
MikieMom
Is Finally Loosening Up!
Is Finally Loosening Up!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the ones.

My customers love them because of the way the soap bar fits in their hand. When I tell them I may switch over to log molds, I get nothing but groans. I currently have 16 of these molds. When I first purchased them they were $4, now they are $6. However, if my customer base continues to grow, then I will differently change over to log molds.

I was on the Soap Dish Forum yesterday and read quite a bit what other CPHP soapers do. They had some good tips. The one that hit me the most was 1) don't discount your water, 2) cook on low, under 200 degrees Fahrenheit, 3) wait until it cools down a bit before adding FO, EO and/or superfatting oils, and 4) use 1T dissolved sugar PPO to the water will keep soap more fluid.

Do you agree with these? I read online that you should stir the soap during the cooking process. What a contradiction. Any suggestions would be great because I have a special order of 16 bars of soap for one customer and will do CPHP so she can get them faster.

Michalene
Barbara AL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may stir about every 15 minutes or so I try to keep the sides clean around the crockpot so you won't have any hard chunks. Yes always use full water amount I also add sugar it helps with the bubbles.
You will go thru smashed potato stage then a partial gell around the edges and then a full gell that is when it looks like applesauce that is when I take out to color and then put in back in the crockpot to swirl. You will have to work fast then.
When it is at full gell I turn the crockpot off to cool I also add powdered goatsmilk make a slurry with it and add it at the end.
MikieMom
Is Finally Loosening Up!
Is Finally Loosening Up!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put goat's milk and honey powder in my recipes. I make a slurry as well and add it to my oils, SB until well incorporated, add lye and SB to incorporate and then pour the oils into the crock pot. Do you think it would be okay to add both HP and sugar? I just thought that the sugar added to the smoothness?
Barbara AL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: subject Reply with quote

I have never added both I know sugar contributes to bubbles in the soap that is why I had sugar it makes my bubbles bigger you could try and let us know how it works for you.

Barbara AL
MikieMom
Is Finally Loosening Up!
Is Finally Loosening Up!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara-

Well, between your advice and others from Soap Dish Forum, I made two batches of CPHP soap. Neither went through the stages you describe, as noted below, and they smell awful. You cannot smell the FO at all. Here's what I've read about CPHP.

1. Use full water amount;
2. Don't stir while cooking;
3. Cook on low heat;
4. When sides start to pull away, turn heat off and wait until completely saponified;
5. Remove lid, let cool a bit (under flashpoint 200), then add FO and either SF oil, glycerin, sugar, or SL, which apparently aids in making a smoother looking soap bar;
6. Spoon into mold, slam down a few times to settle and remove any air bubles; and
7. Put to bed for a couple of hours.

Seems easy enough.

Well! First, a common recipe: 25% Avocado oil, 55% OO and 20% PKO; 33/7 water to SF discount. Addictives: GMP and HP (honey powder) and silk.

1. I melted PKO in microwave and poured into crock pot;
2. Added OO and AO;
3. Added powders to oils and SB together well;
4. Added silk to water and then added lye;
5. Poured lye mixture into the oils and SB together until I got a very light trace;
6. Put heat on low and about 30-40 minutes later two sides started to pull away;
7. After a few more minutes, it started to "rise" to the occasion (volcano-like) but never got past that initial rise. It looked more like a souffle that sunk down in the middle;
8. This is where I get confuse as what is suppose to happen. Instead of looking like it's saponifying, it looks more like a separation is taking place--it doesn't seem to reach that "applesauce" looking phase;
8. So, I continue to cook it on low heat in hopes of . . .
9. It's been an hour and doesn't look like anything more is going to happen, so I removed the pot and stir by hand like crazy. It takes a good 10 more minutes for everything to come together and thicken up. At this point, I added my FO and color.
10. Scooped into my molds; and
11. Put it to bed for a couple of hours.

It didn't smell good before or after I added my FO and still didn't smell so good this morning.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? AM I MISSING A CRUCIAL STEP? HELP, ME, PLEASE!

I wait with abated breath for the cure!

P.S. This has happened twice. The first time the batch was a 50/50 split between hard and soft oils.

P.S.S. I didn't add sugar because of the honey powder.
Barbara AL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: CPHP Reply with quote

I definitely stir about every 15 minutes when it starts to rise like volcano stage I think you are just past the mash potatoe stage and next stage is partial gell and then full gell which is applesauce stage.

May I ask when do you put your Sodium Lactate in? I put mine in the Lye water while it is hot. Did you add any kind of milk that would have made it smell? I add powdered Goats Milk at the end I make a slurry with it add about 2 ounces of water make sure you deduct it from your water amount if adding it at the end. I put my log mold in the freezer to cool down my soap so it won't loose it fragrance while it is hot I take it out of the freezer in about 2 hours and cut it.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Barb
MikieMom
Is Finally Loosening Up!
Is Finally Loosening Up!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use SL but use GMP (goats milk powder) and HP (honey powder) that I dissolve in some water (discount from total amount) and add to my oils. SB together well then add my lye water.

Maybe I didn't wait long enough. It just didn't seem like nothing was happening at the initial volcano-like eruption that collapsed onto itself. Even though I continued to cook it, it didn't do anything. To me, it looked like it was separating.

How long do you cook in crock pot?

Also, I read to put the soap to bed for two hours, which aids in smoother looking soap.
Barbara AL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: CPHP Reply with quote

I would add the Goatsmilk and honeypoweder at the end add it to a little water. The smell you are getting is from the Cooked Goatsmilk I hope it will go away in a couple of days.

Depending on your recipe I cook on low in the crockpot for about 1 hour until I see full Gell (applesauce stage)

Barb
Post new topic   Reply to topic        Forum Index -> The Gallery All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: